Our stories tonight include:
• On July 18th from 12 noon and also 3-5 PM in Columbia, SC the KKK and other white supremacist terrorist groups will be allowed to hold a huge rally at the statehouse capitol grounds exactly one month after 9 innocent Charleston, Sc AME church parishioners including a state senator were murdered by a disciple of such groups. By all reports this could end up as a national event and a possible flashpoint as many opposing groups and individuals are coming from all across America to stand in opposition to this form of state sanctioned terrorism.
• The president just commuted the release of 46 nonviolent offenders. He will also be visiting an Oklahoma prison and recording for a documentary. We’ll talk about that as well as his speech yesterday at the NAACP's 106th National Convention.
• In our #Ferguson is America series, today we focus on the state of Kentucky. A state that practices human trafficking, is ranked 7th in the top ten most racist states and recently released a police union open letter to activists threatening their lives and freedom if they dare call police racists. Week after week the patterns and practices become clearer and clearer. America is #Ferguson.
• This week’s Rider of the 21st Century Underground Railroad is Levon Brooks who served 16 years in Mississippi prisons for a 1990 rape and murder of a three-year-old girl that he didn't commit. In 2008, DNA testing cleared another man, Kennedy Brewer, who had been sentenced to death for a nearly identical murder that happened in the same town less than two years after the crime for which Brooks was convicted. The DNA results implicated the perpetrator of that crime, and he confessed to committing both murders, clearing Brooks.
• Our Abolitionist in profile is Sojourner Truth (c. 1797-1883) An evangelist, abolitionist, and feminist.
Expect all of that and more tonight on New Abolitionists Radio.
Support Independent Black Media, Make A Donation Today!