Tonight we’ll be re joined by our guest John Sims, an artist from Sarasota, Florida, who honored the constitutional right of self-expression by staging burnings and burials of the Rebel flag, that troublesome symbol of the Old South that many, particularly African-Americans, associate with slavery, white supremacy and state-sponsored terrorism and lynchings. He came to Columbia, Sc to personally direct the 13 flags Burn and Bury project. We’ll talk about the experience. Our stories include:
• The NYPD and city lawyers are engaging in a “stunning pattern” of evidence destruction in a high-stakes class-action case alleging cops have issued 850,000 bogus summonses due to a quota system, new documents charge..
• An astounding new study released on Tuesday morning by the San Francisco based Women's Donor Network has completely blown the lid off the complete lack of diversity of America's elected prosecutors.
• According to an investigation conducted by Dana Liebelson, there are currently 6,000 children throughout the Land of the Free currently being held in prison facilities for adults. In her alarming report, Liebelson outlines the details of several cases of horrific abuse of children within the US Prison System
• NEW YORK (AP) — Thousands of New Yorkers accused of low-level or non-violent crimes won't face the prospect of raising cash for bail under a plan that seeks to keep such suspects out of the troubled Rikers Island jail complex.
• In our #Ferguson is America series, today we focus on the state of Kansas. Week after week the patterns and practices become clearer and clearer. America is Ferguson.
• This week’s Rider of the 21st Century Underground Railroad is Alan Newton who On July 6, 2006, was exonerated of rape, robbery, and assault charges. He had asked for DNA testing in 1994, and his request was denied because evidence had been presumed to be lost. In 2005, at the Innocence Project’s request, the district attorney’s office found the rape kit after an exhaustive search. Postconviction DNA testing then proved that Newton was not the perpetrator of this crime
• Our Abolitionist in profile is David Walker 1796 - 1830 Expect all of that and more tonight on New Abolitionists Radio. Join the Move To Abolish 21st Century Slavery